Photo
- - - - -

Should players be benched for resfusing to stand and place their hands over their hearts during the National Anthem?

National Anthem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Becca Baby

Becca Baby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 06:45 PM

United States Code Title 36, Chapter 10, Section 171: "During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should render the military salute at the first note of the anthem and retain this position until the last note. When the flag is not displayed, those present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed there."

#2 w1ckymagee

w1ckymagee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 03:42 AM

I heard a really good analogy the other day, regarding this.  They should be considered "at work" while at the game and like employees at almost every other business should be expected to put their personal issues aside and follow the rules.  If players want to go protest on their off time, that is there right.  Someone who went to work at MacDonalds with a "Black Lives Matter" shirt on would be sent home to change and if they refused they would be fired.  Ergo; players are representing the NFL (or whatever sports league this issue makes it's way to) and we should expect them to behave as the NFL, or their respective teams, tell them to.  That being said, I'm not sure if the NFL has a rule or policy regarding standing during the Anthem and if not they need clarify that position.

Personally I think people not standing for the National Anthem is disrespectful to people who are serving or have served in the armed forces, being a former Marine myself, and to everything that the United States stands for, but I support these people's right to be arrogant to the point of stupidity but that it needs to happen on their own time.

#3 Julie

Julie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:22 PM

I do believe that players should be benched for not facing the flag and placing their hand over their heart during the national anthem. This practice was part of our countries tradition. Tradition should be preserved to
teach these people who are imported from foreign countries to participate and believe in the culture of the USA.

#4 lwm4p

lwm4p

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 06:59 PM

This is not a good analogy, as there is no rule in the NFL that you have to stand etc during the National Anthem.. and if there was, it would most likely go against freedom of speech and be struck down in court.  Wearing a particularly worded shirt is different because you are specifically endorsing a group, not just expressing your opinion in a peaceful manner.  A business can't just make any rule they want..

The real answer is fixing society, but that is too hard so people try to make rules... Stop trying to make people do stuff you want, instead try convincing someone that the action is right/wrong.  Everyone making a big deal out of this has only given purpose to the action.  If it would have been ignored from the beginning, they would have moved to something else.  So let's solve the root problem and stop worrying about how someone decides to express their dislike for some ill in society.

I heard a really good analogy the other day, regarding this.  They should be considered "at work" while at the game and like employees at almost every other business should be expected to put their personal issues aside and follow the rules.  If players want to go protest on their off time, that is there right.  Someone who went to work at MacDonalds with a "Black Lives Matter" shirt on would be sent home to change and if they refused they would be fired.  Ergo; players are representing the NFL (or whatever sports league this issue makes it's way to) and we should expect them to behave as the NFL, or their respective teams, tell them to.  That being said, I'm not sure if the NFL has a rule or policy regarding standing during the Anthem and if not they need clarify that position.

Personally I think people not standing for the National Anthem is disrespectful to people who are serving or have served in the armed forces, being a former Marine myself, and to everything that the United States stands for, but I support these people's right to be arrogant to the point of stupidity but that it needs to happen on their own time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users